Thursday, October 25, 2012

Give me a sense of humor, Lord.

I do a lot of funerals. Some years between 75 and 85 services. I may witness over a hundred deaths at the hospital in a years time of every age and circumstance. I am well acquainted with grief and sorrow. I am convinced this is a calling of God and far beyond my own abilities to minister. That makes humor very special to me, hopefully to others. There is so much pain in life we need to release the
endorphins and laugh, laugh, laugh. The ones in poverty, pain, rejection, loss, betrayal, need the gift of muse, if just for a moment. Jesus laughed, God laughed, the Holy Spirit in us laughs when we do. Most people I meet are dragging a chain of depression, problems, or struggles with the past. Yet, the cure is defined in scripture, Pro. 17:22 " A merry heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up bones." Do you see the contrast in that verse? My humble prayer is
Give me a sense of humor, Lord. Let me tell a good joke.
Because laughter is Sweet, Lord. Let me lift other folk.
Br. Larry , so you'll understand why I love humor so much.

No comments: