Tuesday, February 3, 2009

It’s Alright to Believe and Disagree

It’s Alright to Believe and Disagree
My father would say, “Never discuss politics or religion or you’ll offend someone.” Boy was he ever correct, for people are easily offended if you’re not like-minded. If you state your case in either area, someone sharpens his pencil to defend. Well, it makes our paper interesting and often controversial. We should never be ugly, harsh, or mean-spirited with those we disagree. However, we should not be intimidated to alter our convictions because of others offensive responses or defensive words.
We must not suppose that our silence is a contribution to any just cause. Paul wrote to the church at Corinth in his second letter, “I believed, therefore I have spoken.” A quote from Psalm 116:10 but then he goes onto say…”with that same spirit of faith we also believe and therefore speak…” As a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ and follower of God’s word, we preach, teach and witness. Sometimes people will accuse you of being narrow-minded because you are not like-minded but that’s alright.
The words persuaded, convinced and believed are mentioned frequently in scripture. “I know whom I have believed and am convinced that He is able to guard what I have trusted to Him for that day.” (II Tim. 1:2). There is peace, comfort and genuine encouragement trusting in the authority of God’s word. I remember a precious Bible teacher of children in Chandler when I was a child who shared her faith with many. She was neither shallow nor uneducated or did she blindly adopt her belief system. She knew with conviction where her faith was placed in the Savior.
Many times people aren’t asking to believe something as much as quit believing something. A very radical, controversial person once made a claim…”I am the way the truth and the life…” “If you’ve seen me you’ve seen the Father.” For those words they were offended, they killed Him but He arose from the dead. That pronounced claim offends even more today.
It’s alright to disagree but its okay also to believe and have convictions. I believe, thus I have spoken.

No comments: