Saturday, February 28, 2009

For I am God

A Dose of the Word
September 25, 2008

I saw a tee-shirt on a youth at the Shawnee Mall. It read: “I believe in God and you are not Him.” I chuckled, but then I thought many people do behave with an idea the universe revolves around them. When the Old Testament prophet Hosea wrote this verse, “For I am God and not man, the Holy One among you.” Hosea 11:9, four things emerged as divine truth.

There is a difference – “For I am God”. There is only one God. He is creator and sustainer of all life. He is above and says My ways are not your ways or my thoughts are not like yours. The great I AM is a statement of His supremacy, only He is God.

There is a depiction – “and not man”. There could be nearly seven billion of us on this planet now! There were not a billion until 1930 on the earth at one time. Perhaps as many as 42 billion have lived since time and creation. But only one God. He made us, “It is He who made us, and we are His…” Psalm 100:3. We see man depicted as made in the image of God, but not portrayed as God.

There is a divinity – “the Holy One”. God is different not only in power, but in character He is holy. God is pure in love, grace, and all His attributes. Through Jesus Christ, He has revealed Himself totally. We sing “Holy, Holy, Holy, Lord God Almighty” because He is distinct in Holiness.

There is a dispersion – “among you”. Not off up there, but right down here among us. On the road, hallway, home, job, where ever we are, He is there with us. God has dispersed His Spirit to walk with us. He is not a spectator, but a participant.

Chaplain Larry Sparks

No comments: