Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Christmas Night Remembered


CHRISTMAS NIGHT REMEMBERED

“But Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart.”  (Luke 2:19)

Mother, why do you keep this straw and these old grave blankets?  Because they are very special to me, they remind me of when you were born twelve years ago son.  Would you tell me the story once more, I love to hear it and your eyes sparkle when you speak of that night.  Alright, my son, but then you must go to sleep for tomorrow we must go to Jerusalem to offer sacrifice and worship with the others and it’s a long journey.
This straw came from a cattle shed outside of the village of Bethlehem where we stayed that night.  We had to go and register there because Joseph was a descendant of King David.  Judea was a hard trip for a woman with child.  When we arrived the entire town was filled with people so the only place we could sleep was in the stable with the animals.  I could tell how it hurt your father to have to put us in such a place.  While we were there that night you were born.  Joseph took a cattle trough and packed it with hay for you a bed.  That’s why I keep the straw, to remind me of that night.
But what about these old rags, Mother?  Those were your baby blanket, they were all we had to use.  But you looked so sweet in the blankets lying in the manger, and as you lay there all was quiet, even the animals were hushed.  The stars shined so bright, Jesus, its as if they shined for a King.  Then later that night, several men came to the stable and told of a vision they had where an angel appeared to them telling them to come find us.  At first your father was skeptical about their story but they were singing Shaloam and were more interested in you than Joseph or myself.  They were smelly and dirty, they seemed so happy though.  One of the older men said that their prayers had been answered, a Sotera (Savior) had come.  It all was very strange, very strange, my son.
Now, you must go to sleep, tomorrow is a very long day and we must leave early.  Goodnight, Jesus, my son.  Good night, Mother, I love you.  Mother... Yes, Could I talk to the priest and scribes at the Temple while we are there?  I have so many questions to ask.  Perhaps, but that is unusual for one so young, besides you’re a carpenter’s son, that’s your business, not the Law.
The lamp is out in the tiny room in the carpenter’s home in Nazareth.  But the light is growing in a dark world and Mary stares out the window at a distant star, pondering, wondering; Father, what do you have planned for my son?  He is such a good boy, he loves your teachings so much.
Mary places the straw back into the rags from Bethlehem, folds them up and puts them on the shelf.  She looks once more at her sleeping son, the peaceful face and touches the hand, then brushes away the locks of hair from his brow.  Sleep well, Emmanuel.

Larry D. Sparks
Pastor,
Blackburn Chapel Baptist Church

No comments: